Rameshwaram – A city located at the southernmost tip of India is best known as the “temple town”. It is also a popular pilgrimage destination for Char Dham yatra that holds great religious and spiritual significance. Some of the most popular temples of Rameshwaram include Sri Ramanathaswamy Temple, Panchmukhi Temple, Dhanushkodi Temple, Gandhamadhana Parvatham and Nambu Nayaki Amman Temple. Although, visiting these temples will leave you tranquil, don’t be fooled by the temple town courtesy, there are so many things to do and best places to visit in Rameshwaram that you will be blown over by. So, when visiting Rameshwaram have the below list handy to make the best of your visit.
Table of Contents
15 Best Places to Visit in Rameshwaram
1. Pamban Bridge: India’s First Sea Bridge
If you are travelling by train or by land the Pamban Bridge is one of the best places to spend some time in India. It is considered one of the longest bridges in South India and is constructed over the Bay of Bengal. It is a place that is breathtaking, despite whether you go by road over the bridge or take a train.
2. Dhanushkodi: The Last Land of India
Considered one of the Southern tips in India, Dhanushkodi is packed with a lot of history. A drive down to Danushkodi will be worth the price. It is a town in the south-eastern tip of Pamban Island. It is a town that has history and was almost wiped out in 1964 because of the cyclone. You can see the ruins when there.
3. Abdul Kalam House: A Museum Worth Visiting
A P J Abdul Kalam was an accomplished scientist and also a former President of India. Between 2002 and 2007 he served as the 11th president of India. His house in Mosque Street has been turned into a museum in Rameshwaram to see his humble roots and how he turned it around.
4. Kalam National Memorial: Great Place for Science Lovers
In honour of A P J Abdul Kalam, this is a place built for him and initiated by the Defence Research and Development Organisation. It is a place that was initiated in 2015. It is a celebration and has a collection of Dr Kalam’s memorabilia and also showcases his contribution to the country and science.
5. Water Bird Sanctuary: Best Bird Sanctuary in South India
As a coastal place, and with a lot of natural vegetation, the water bird sanctuary could be one of the best places to visit in Rameswaram. If you are a bird lover, you must take the time to go here to see the different migratory bird species. Multiple birds migrate here and breed.
6. Kunthu Kal Beach: Experience the Crystal Clear Blue Waters
If you want to enjoy the beach the Kunthu Kal beach is a place that you must include in your itinerary. The location is perfect and is on Pamban Island. Considered one of the best beaches in the area, it is picturesque. The water, the little waves and the sunset are breathtaking for kids and adults alike.
7. Sea World Aquarium: A Great Place for Kids
If you love fish, and aquariums, you are in for a treat at the Sea World Aquarium in Rameshwaram. There are a host of species in this place. Marine life is a wonderful thing and the Sea World Aquarium a place that you can see. A treat for kids to learn new things and also purchase memorabilia.
8. Annai Indira Gandhi Road Bridge from the Sea:
Considered one of the longest bridges in South India, this bridge is 7 km long. Though it is the same as watching the Pamban bridge, the view from a boat ride gives you the magnificence of it. They provide a boat that has a glass bottom to also see the coral reef. This bridge stands strong till date and regarded the most convenient means to travel.
9. Adam’s Bridge or Rama Setu: Great Mythical Bridge Underwater
It is a bridge that is underwater and separates the Gulf of Mannar from the Palk Strait. Many parts of the bridge are over water and are considered that it could have been over water until the area that was hit by the cyclone in 1480.
10. Ariyaman Beach: Best Adventure Spot in Rameshwaram
If you are looking for a beautiful beach, you must visit Ariyaman Beach. It is one of the nice beaches in Rameshwaram that is pristine and scenic. Explore water sports and boating in Rameshwaram if you love adventure sports. They also have accommodation there that gives you sea view cottages.
11. Burial Place of Abdul Kalam: To Remember India’s Missile Man
Thousands from different parts of the country come to Rameshwaram to pay homage to the 11th President of India. He was laid to rest in Rameshwaram, his home town. People come here to pay their respects to who has been called the Missile Man of India.
12. Silk Shopping: Best Silk Shopping in South India
Shopping for and wearing silk sarees are considered sacred and are done during auspicious and special occasions. Rameshwaram is certainly a place to do the shopping you need. The quality of silk is popular and is something that you must try and take a look at, despite whether it is for suits or sarees.
13. Eat Local Food: Great Place for South Indian Food
South Indian food is known for its smell and irresistible taste that is available across the world. If you are a fan of South Indian food, visit Ahaan, Anand Bhavan, Ashok Bhavan, and Hotel Guru in Rameshwaram. These are some of the best restaurants in Rameshwaram for eating authentic south Indian dishes.
14. Agni Theertham: Best Beach In Rameshwaram
If you want to go take a dip in the ocean, Agni Theertham is a place that one must visit. Agni Theertham holds great significance for Hindu Devotees. After praying they atone their sins by bathing in the water that is considered holy. It is one of those places that tourists from around the country flock to take a trip here. This place is a must-visit for people that enjoy ocean, peace, and serenity.
15. Explore the Area: To Make the Most out of Rameshwaram
When in Rameshwaram, it is important to realize that there are many places around Rameshwaram that you must try and visit if you plan a long enough trip. Some of them include Madurai, Thanjavur, and more. Make sure you plan a trip that includes those places as well when you are in the area.
ll of these places and experiences explained there are many places to visit in Rameshwaram. Especially if you want to taste the local food from Tamil Nadu, Rameshwaram does not fail you. Often people think Rameshwaram is all about its temples and do not realize that it is also for everyone. Rameshwaram tourist places have something for beach lovers, nature lovers, and more.
This is also a place you should plan a trip to not just visit the places to see in Rameshwaram but also around it. So, when you make a plan to travel down south, give yourself some time, so you do ensure to explore not just the heritage, but also take your time to explore the beauty around.
FAQs – Best places to visit in Rameshwaram
– What is Rameshwaram famous for? Rameshwaram is one of the best places to visit if you’re looking to travel around a temple town. Rich in culture and filled with a sense of divinity, it houses the famous Ramanathaswamy Temple.
– What is the best time to visit Rameshwaram? Rameshwaram is most pleasant between October to April. Being a town that experiences tropical climate, the temperature doesn’t vary even though the seasons do, making Rameshwaram one of the best places that can be visited all year round.
– Is one day enough to visit Rameshwaram? Yes. One can cover all famous spots in Rameshwaram in a day, provided they arrive at the town early in the morning, by 4:30 AM. That is when the Spadiga Lingam Darshan happens, which is one of the best places to visit in Rameshwaram.
– How long does it take for darshan in Rameshwaram? It takes around 3-4 hours to finish darshan at the Ramanathaswamy temple during festive and auspicious seasons. Otherwise, an hour is enough to visit the temple.
– Which is the nearest airport to Rameshwaram? Madurai airport, located 174 KMS off Rameshwaram is the nearest airport to the town. One must visit the Ramanathaswamy Temple, while in Rameshwaram, which is one of the best places to visit there.
– Which are the best places to visit in Rameshwaram with friends? Some of the best places to visit in Rameshwaram with friends are the Dhanushkodi beach point, Pamban bridge, Kalam National Memorial, A.P.J Abdul Kalam’s house, Adam’s Bridge – Rama Setu, etc.
Gulshan Bafna is one of the luxury travelers in India. He, along with his wife, has traveled to many exotic places that one could dream. With their travel journey, they bring us the best face of those places. He compiles all of his travel journeys to give the taste of traveling to his readers. In his writing, he jots down the best things to do in all those places that he has visited. Reading these would help one know better about the place. He is also a seeker who loves exploring and discovering new places and share his experiences with everyone.