One of the most compelling reasons to add Darjeeling to your bucket list is its spectacular expanses of tea estates. Not just that, Darjeeling is a traveler’s paradisefor many more reasons. From great culture to enchanting vistas, this place is a perfect amalgamation of everything that an avid globetrotter like me needs. I was mesmerized by the dominating hilly landscape, intriguing mountain views, and traditions that Darjeeling holds. In fact, Darjeeling’s umpteen quality speaks for itself, and you may want to experience this magic as soon as possible. Here are some of the best things to do in Darjeeling that will make you visit this realm of beautyagain and again.
Table of Contents
Best Things to Do In Darjeeling
1. Enjoy Toy Train Ride
When in Darjeeling, the one thing you cannot miss is their Toy Train Ride. There are many things to enjoyincluding the food, the breathtaking views, the greenery, and all of it. Also, the romance that surrounds the trip. It is one of those activities in Darjeeling that is not just fun but can also be very romantic. The hills, the weather, and the romance in the air are also covered in many Bollywood and other films.
2. Spend some time with Nature at Khambuhang Nature Holiday Camp
If you want to be one with nature, and have the comfort of being safe, the Khambuhang Nature Holiday Camp is just for you. The place is in Kalimpong and offers deluxe cottages and beautiful space that gives you a good feel of the Himalayas. It is a place where you have the luxuries of having all that you need while ensuring you feel a sense of nature.
3. Visit Batasia Loop War Memorial
If you are in Darjeeling, you must visit the Batasia Loop. This is a place that pays it’s respect to the Gorkha soldiers of the Indian Army that were martyred. It is one of those places that gives a panoramic view of Darjeeling and breathtaking does not describe it enough. However, it is also a place that gives us a moment to reflect on the sacrifices our soldiers have made to keep us safe. It is certainly a must-see in Darjeeling.
4. Get a Glimpse of Kanchenjunga at Tiger Hill
If you want to see the beautiful Kanchenjunga, this is a place you must explore. The gorgeousness of the mountain is not something you can miss. Go there to watch the beautiful sunrise. The colors of the snow-capped mountains and how it looks as the sun rises is one of the things that you will carryall your life. Missing the sunrise at Tiger Hill will certainly be one of those things you will regret after going to Darjeeling.
5. Go Trekking at Sandakphu
If you are the adventurous kind like me, trekking in Darjeeling is a thing you will absolutely enjoy. There are many places you can go trekkingthere, Sandakphu is certainly one of those places. It is considered one of the highest points in West Bengal. Just go trekking if you want to see the magnitude and mesmerizing view. A little walk and being one with nature never hurt anyone. Trek to the peak and get a glimpse of wonder.
6. Experience Rafting and Kayaking at Teesta
Teesta River arises at Cho Lhamu Lake and flows down the mountains, making it a perfect destination for raftingand kayaking. Darjeeling is recognized as one of the best river rafting options in India. There are many grades of the intensity of the kind of experience. This depends on the training you already have in rafting. The Teesta river is a place that one must go down if you think of yourself as an adrenaline junky. You must go down that river, but there are training levels that are vital to be evaluated on.
7. Visit Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park
If you love wildlife, you must make a visit to this park. Go to the Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park to get a glimpse of all kinds of endangered species. Be it the leopards, pandas, wolves, and more all of these can be seen. The Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park is certainly a place that brings you closer to nature and gives you all the information you will need to understand more about how our universe works.
8. Learn Rock Climbing at Himalayan Mountaineering Institute
If you are interested in Rock Climbing, visiting the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (HMI) can be an interesting experience. They have courses and experts that will help you learn how to get expertise in Rock Climbing. They have different courses based on your expertise. They conduct many courses and have taken many people to locations. This adventurous activity is certainly a must-try.
9. Take a Tea Tour at Dooars
How can you experience Darjeeling without trying their tea? Take a tour of a tea plantation and you must have a taste of it yourself. When you are in Darjeeling, one of the best things to experience is the view of the tea plantations and the tasting of some of the best sips of tea or chai in the world. Also, there are different flavors and refreshing tastes. You get the first-hand experience of some of the best teas in the world arguably.
10. Indulge With Local Food
When in Darjeeling, eat what the locals eat. Do not come back regretting not trying how and what they make locally. Just some of them are Thukpa, Nepal thali, Naga Cuisine, momos, cheaper, and more. Eating their local foodis one of the best things to do in Darjeeling. This is a place to try everything Himalayan and the different influences that the mountains bring to the local cuisines.
Darjeeling is one of those places that you will not regret going to. It is for adventurous nature loversand romantics alike. It is the kind of place that has a little bit of something for everyone. The beauty of the Himalayas will not be explored enough if you have not experienced it through the eyes of Darjeeling. The memories you capture here will be a treasure trove for interesting stories you will want to tell your loved ones. So, go there to experience the time of your life. It is a place where culture, food, and breathtaking views come together to sing you one of the best symphonies you will hear.
FAQs – Best Things To Do In Darjeeling
1) Which are the most popular things to do in Darjeeling with kids? – Darjeeling is a quaint hill station, so among the best things to do in Darjeeling with kids include walking along the scenic pathways and visiting the natural parks.
2) What is the specialty of Darjeeling? – Anyone who’s been here will tell you that the best thing to do in Darjeeling is to sample their world-famous tea. The scenery in this destination is sublime, so give that a shot as well!
3) What are some of the best things to do in Darjeeling? Among the best things to do in Darjeeling are to take a trip on the mountain railway and to visit the monasteries. You could also go mountain biking if you’re feeling adventurous!
4) Which are the must-visit sightseeing attractions in Darjeeling? You won’t be disappointed if you’re looking for the best things to do in Darjeeling. You should definitely visit the mountaineering institute and the Himalayan Zoo.
5) Which is the best place to visit in Darjeeling? Arguably one of the best things to do in Darjeeling is to visit Observatory Hill. It’s one of the oldest sites in the area, so there’s a lot to take in!
6) How many days are required for a Darjeeling tour? – Darjeeling is a perfect spot for a cozy weekend retreat. It shouldn’t take you more than 3 days to check out the best things to do in Darjeeling.
Gulshan Bafna is one of the luxury travelers in India. He, along with his wife, has traveled to many exotic places that one could dream. With their travel journey, they bring us the best face of those places. He compiles all of his travel journeys to give the taste of traveling to his readers. In his writing, he jots down the best things to do in all those places that he has visited. Reading these would help one know better about the place. He is also a seeker who loves exploring and discovering new places and share his experiences with everyone.